CIE IGCSE Biology: 复习笔记：17.1.3 Genes & Proteins
The DNA Base Sequence Determines the Amino Acid Sequence in Protein
- The DNA code (a series of bases) is converted into proteins (a series of amino acids)
- The process of protein synthesis has two stages
- Transcription (rewriting the base code of DNA into bases of RNA
- Translation (using RNA base sequence to build amino acids into sequence in a protein)
- Therefore, the sequence of bases in a gene determines the sequence of amino acids that make a specific protein
- Different sequences of amino acids give different shapes and functions to protein molecules
Students often confuse sequences of bases (in DNA/RNA) with sequences of amino acids (in proteins).
Make sure you're clear which large molecule you're referring to and therefore, which monomers make up the larger molecule.