How to approach solving trig equations
- You can solve trig equations in a variety of different ways
- Sketching a graph (see Graphs of Trigonometric Functions)
- Using trigonometric identities (see Trigonometry – Simple Identities)
- Using the CAST diagram (see Linear Trigonometric Equations)
- Factorising quadratic trig equations (see Quadratic Trigonometric Equations)
- If you’re having trouble solving a trig equation, this flowchart might help:
- Don’t forget to check the function range and ensure you have included all possible solutions.
- If the question involves a function of x or θ, make sure you transform the range first (and ensure you transform your solutions back again at the end!).