What do I need to know about modelling with sequences and series?
- Many real-life situations can be modelled using sequences and series
- If a quantity is changing repeatedly by having a fixed amount added to or subtracted from it then the use of arithmetic sequences and arithmetic series is appropriate
- If a quantity is changing repeatedly by a fixed percentage, or by being multiplied repeatedly by a fixed amount, then the use of geometric sequences and geometric series is appropriate
- Remember, an exam question won't always tell you to use sequence and series methods, so you've got to be able to spot 'hidden' sequence and series questions.
- To help you do this, be suspicious of questions about savings accounts, salaries, sales commissions, profits and the like – these are often sequence and series questions in disguise!