What is modelling with straight lines?
- Modelling means applying the mathematics to a real-life situation
- The model is used to find or predict future values
- Models will often need refining to improve their accuracy
How do I work with straight line models?
- Turn the words from the question into mathematical equations
- In y = mx + c constants “m” and “c” will have a meaning
- gradient “m” will be the rate of change
- eg extension in a spring per 1 kg of mass added
- y-axis intercept “c” will be the initial value
- eg resting length of a spring
- The skills needed are covered in the other pages of the section Equation of a Straight Line