What is a reverse percentage?
- A reverse percentage question is one where we are given the value after a percentage increase or decrease and asked to find the value before the change
How to do reverse percentage questions
- You should do these in exactly the same way as percentage increase & decrease questions!
- Identify “before” & “after” quantities
- FIND percentage we want:
- Increase – ADD percentage to 100
- Decrease – SUBTRACT from 100
- Write down a STATEMENT connecting “before” and “after”:
- “after is a percentage of before”
- Write down the statement as an EQUATION using decimal equivalent
- remember “is” means “=”
- SUBSTITUTE and SOLVE