Tidal Heating Section Online Part 完整版真题免费下载
Your challenge in this section is to develop a reasonable model for Io's tidal heating, and compute the model parameters. Compare the results to others in the scientic literature, then write an article presenting your model as for publishing in a scientic journal.
Steps Required for Successful Completion of the Task
Developing your Model Points will be awarded based on how well you incorporate the following considerations into your explanation.
- Determine how Io deforms in Jupiter's gravitational field. Make sure to use relevant approximations and explain why they can be used.
- Compare Io with other planetary bodies in the Solar System for which we know the internal structure and give a qualitative model of Io's interior. You will want to use results given by inducted magnetic fields on Io.
- Observe the way Io's surface changes in time under tides. Considering the height of tides on Io, find which forces are relevant in your model. Deduce that there is a very well-known class of problems that approximates Io's behavior.
- Find the heat generated and compare the results obtained with those in scientic literature. Comment on Io's surface temperature. Discuss briefly the energy balance of Io's volcanoes.
- Find the energy source heating Io and estimate what will happen to
the Jovian moon(s) in the future.
Publishing Your Model Now that you have a working model, imagine you want to publish it in a scientic journal.
6. Write an article detailing your model, reporting the inferred parameters and comparing the results to those obtained by others.